Dream Center Office and VIDAS Logo (Vital Immigrant Defense Advocacy and Services VIDAS)

Legal Services

VIDAS offers free immigration legal services for SRJC students, staff, and faculty. Our legal team can help you navigate matters related to immigration, provide general consultation, DACA renewals services, and assistance with filling out immigration forms. (Follow VIDAS on Instagram!)

Eligibility for Legal Services

All students enrolled at SRJC are eligible to receive free legal services, including those taking non-credit classes, GED preparation, and dual-enrolled high school students.

Immigration Legal Services

  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

    This is a program that allows certain individuals to obtain deferred action and employment authorization if they meet the following requirements:

    • entered the U.S. under the age of 16
    • maintained continuous physical presence since June 2007
    • under the age of 31
    • physically present in the U.S. on June 15. 2012
    • have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or more than three misdemeanors

    Renew your DACA online
  • Advance Parole

    This is a travel document that allows certain individuals to re-enter the U.S. after temporary travel abroad. It is most commonly available to individuals with a pending adjustment of status application or DACA.

  • Family Petitions

    Certain individuals may petition for their family members to become legal permanent residents. A U.S. citizen may submit a petition for their spouse, children, siblings, and U.S. citizens over the age of 21 may petition their parents. A legal permanent resident may submit a petition for their spouse or parent.

  • Consular Process

    This is the application process for U.S. visas (immigrant and non-immigrant) when an individual is outside the U.S. or is legally required to attend their immigration interview at the U.S. consulate in their country of origin.

  • U Nonimmigrant Status

    This is an immigration status for victims of certain crimes in the U.S. The applicant must prove they were helpful to law enforcement and suffered substantial harm.

  • Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

    Spouses and children of U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents and parents of U.S. citizens over the age of 21 who have been victims of domestic violence or abuse by their U.S. citizen or LPR relative may self-petition for their immigration status.

  • Adjustment of Status

    This is a process for certain individuals who are physically present in the United States and eligible to apply for lawful permanent status.

  • Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS)

    This is available to certain undocumented minors under the age of 21 who have been abused, abandoned, or neglected by one or both of their parents.

  • Green Card Renewals

    This is available to legal permanent residents who need to replace or renew their permanent residence cards.

  • Removal of Permanent Residence Conditions

    Spouses or children of a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident who have been granted conditional permanent resident status must apply within 90 days of the expiration of their status to remove the conditions.

  • Naturalization

    This is the process for a person born outside the U.S. to apply for citizenship. To qualify, the applicant must be at least 18 years old, have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years (3 years if married to a U.S. citizen), and meet other eligibility requirements.

  • Certificate of Citizenship

    This document proves that a person born outside the U.S. is a citizen by operation of law (ex. child born abroad to U.S. citizen parents).

  • Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

    This is a temporary status for foreign nationals of certain designated countries that are experiencing unsafe conditions, such as an armed conflict, natural disaster, or other temporary extraordinary conditions.

  • I-601A, Provisional Unlawful Presence Waivers

    Certain immigrant visa applicants who are relatives of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents may apply for a waiver of their unlawful presence prior to departing the U.S. for their interview at a U.S. Consulate.

  • I-601, Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility

    Applicants for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status may apply for a waiver of certain grounds of inadmissibility if they are found to be inadmissible.

  • Parole in Place

    This allows certain foreign nationals who entered the U.S. without inspection to remain in the U.S. for a certain period of time. It is granted on a case-by-case basis for urgent humanitarian reasons or significant public benefit, such as parents of adult children who have served honorably in the U.S. military.

Meet our Legal Team

Barbara Ibarra staff photo

Barbara Ibarra, DOJ Accredited Representative

bibarra@santarosa.edu | 707.838.8383 (call or text)

Barbara graduated from Sonoma State University in May 1999. In 2001, Barbara began working in the immigration field and has over 20 years of experience working with affirmative cases. Barbara joined VIDAS in April of 2019 and became an Accredited Representative by the U.S. Department of Justice. Barbara is happy to provide free immigration services to the SRJC community.

Julie staff photo

Julie Cyphers, Attorney and Affirmative Relief Legal Director

jcyphers@santarosa.edu | 707.838.8383 (call or text)

Julie has practiced immigration law since 2008, specializing in affirmative cases, including immigrant petitions, consular processing, waivers of inadmissibility, adjustment of status, VAWA, U Visas, DACA, naturalization, and citizenship. Ms. Cyphers enjoys assisting students, faculty, and staff at Santa Rosa Junior College with a wide range of immigration matters.